Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Can you make fondue in a crockpot?

I'm planning on having a fondue party for several friends at Christmastime, but I have a few crockpots and no fondue pot. Even if I were to buy one for this single occasion, I would need at least 2-3 for everyone, which would be pretty pricey. Can it would the same way in crockpots on a low heat?Can you make fondue in a crockpot?
Using a Crock Pot on "High" will work. Put all ingredients in the pot and turn on high a couple of hours before you expect to use it. Ladle into individual bowls immediately prior to serving the Fondue.
I'd experiment if I were you to make sure you can conveniently DIP into your crock pot. You sure don't want to wind up with a houseful of guests and a failed fondue.



I'd fill the crockpot with water and heat it on high. Set bowls of already prepared dip into the crockpot to keep it warm. It would be best if you could find some stainless steel bowls at Warmart or Target. You want them to fit the rims of the ceramic liners--not sink down into the water.



No fondue forks? Use Kabob sticks to stab little meat balls, bread cubes, or chunks of fruit.



I've not tried this method myself. I've only done fondue with a fondue pot.Can you make fondue in a crockpot?
Yes. I've been to a few pot luck parties where cheese dip was kept in a slow cooker/crock pot for the duration of the event.



* I however recommend that you melt the cheese prior to placing it in your slow cooker. I'd do it on the stove, either with a double boiler or two pans(the one on top slightly smaller holding the cheese;the bottom pan containing steaming water) It's better this way,since you'd have more control over the heat.
I see fondue pots still in the box with all the little forks etc at the thrift store or on ebay. You probably can melt the cheese in a crock pot but dipping your nibbles in a crock pot might go against what it's made for and the cheese might not be hot enough to stick. It's the flame from underneath that keeps the temperature.
Yes but on the "warm" setting, low is too hot

No comments:

Post a Comment